How to wear the mask correctly?It takes 4 steps to wear the mask: check, wear, adjust and press:
- Check: the water-repellent finishing layer should be facing out and the nose wire should be over the mask.
- Wear: pull the ear loops on both sides to put on the mask.
- Adjust: adjust the mask to ensure it indeed covers the mouth and nose.
- Press: press the upper fitting line to confirm that it fits the bridge of the nose.
※ To avoid contacting with germs, refrain from touching the outside of the mask after wearing it. But if you do, make sure you thoroughly wash your hands afterwards.
Can cloth masks be used to prevent bacteria and filter dirty air?Cloth masks only have a basic filtering effect due to their larger pores.However, they are not good at filtering dirty air, bacteria and viruses below 10 microns. Therefore, cloth masks are not recommended to prevent bacteria and air pollution.
Does the masks work better with more layers?In fact, it is not. Masks should be selected according to the environment and use needs. The general three-layered medical masks can meet the needs of most people. The three layers are as follows: the outermost layer is water-repellent finishing layer to prevent the droplets from infiltrating; the second layer is filter layer to block dust or bacteria in the air, and the third layer is hydrophilic layer to absorb the moisture generated by breathing, so as to keep the inner layer dry. And the mask blocks harmful particles for protection mainly relies on the middle filter layer! The layer should be increased when there are other requirements, such as anti-bacteria, odor-proof. Otherwise, the more layers the mask has, the less breathable it will be.
Is it better to have masks with special anti-bacterial ingredients? (E.g. silver nanoparticles, silver sputtering)“Bacteria” also refers to the fine dust particles in the air, so “bacteria” can also be captured by the filter layer in the middle of the mask; the mask with better filtration efficiency will naturally catch “bacteria” in a better way. However, masks made of cloth or non-woven fabrics with added antimicrobial ingredients cannot effectively capture the dust in the air, so they must be matched with a filter layer with good filtration efficiency. After the bacteria are captured, they are then antimicrobial. However, it may affect the smoothness of breathing by adding a layer of antimicrobial layer. When purchasing, you can consider it according to your own needs.
If you wear a mask when you are sick, will the mask keep the bacteria in the mask?Yes. The filter layer of the mask can capture bacteria from outside to inside or from inside to outside at the same time.
How do I know if my mask is effective in filtering?To know the filter efficiency of the mask, you can refer to the description of the mask bag and refer to the passed standard. Generally speaking, as long as it is a medical mask, it will usually be labeled as follows:
BFE (bacterial filtration efficiency) > 95%, which means that 95% of the viruses in the air can be effectively filtered.
Is the smaller the micron mask that can be filtered, the more effective it is?The Most Penetrating Particulate Size (MPPS) of the particulate matters is generally with size of 0.3 micron. For larger or smaller particles, there are different filtration theories for particle trapping.
Generally, the filtration efficiency is shown by BFE (bacterial filtration efficiency). Most of them are tested at about 3.0 µm (micron) particles and 32 LPM (liter/minute) flow rate. At present, the national standard shows that BFE > 95% is in line with the standard of medical mask.
How long does it take for a non-woven mask to be thrown away?After wearing the non-woven mask, the mask will begin to catch the dust and pollution in the environment. In normal use environment, it is recommended not to wear the mask for more than one day.
However, in the high risk areas of virus flow such as hospitals, it is recommended that no matter how long the use time is.Once taken down, it should not be used again, not because of the problem of reduced filtering effect, but because of the fear that hand-touched masks will generate pollution.
The use of masks depends on the individual’s environment. It is generally recommended to replace masks immediately if one of the following situations occurs:
1. When respiratory impedance increases significantly (when dyspnea occurs)
2. When the mask is dirty, damaged or worn out
3. When blood or body fluids are sprayed on the mask
4. When there is a bad smell inside the mask
Can non-woven masks be cleaned?Not recommended.Because non-woven masks are often treated with static electricity to increase the filtration efficiency, the electrostatic layer will be destroyed when cleaned, thus affecting the filtration efficiency and protection effect.
Why is it so stuffy when wearing a mask?There are several reasons for this:
- “Poor air permeability” : Some masks neglect “air permeability” when considering the filter efficiency. “Air permeability” means the pressure difference of air through the mask. The smaller the pressure difference, the better the air permeability and the smoother the breathing will be. Therefore, masks should be both with filtration efficiency and air permeability, so that they can be effective, comfortable and not stuffy.
- Masks with special functions may affect air permeability : because of the functions of anti-bacterial, activated carbon and so on, it is necessary to add a layer of non-woven cloth, so that air penetration encounters another layer of barrier, therefore, it is necessary to select masks suitable for their own needs in order to avoid air permeability being affected.
- No hydrophilic design for the inner layer of the mask: in general, the inner layer of mask needs to be able to absorb the droplets and water vapor generated when speaking, so it needs to have the hydrophilic function to keep it dry. If there is no hydrophilic design,you may feel stuffy and uncomfortable when wearing.But now the general medical grade mask should have such a basic design.